If you no longer have access to the mobile phone number on your account, or the Digidentity app is no longer generating your login codes, it is possible to recover this login detail from the Digidentity login page.
Starting the recovery
- Go to the Digidentity login page
- Enter in your email address or username
- Fill in your password
- When asked for the security code, click 'I lost access to this code'.
- Provide the requested account recovery code, then click 'Continue'
- Answer the security question
If you have also forgotten your password, please see: I forgot my password and don't have access to my old phone number/authenticator
Setting up your new two-factor authentication
Once you've followed the steps above, you can now set up your new two-factor authentication method. For steps to continue, please select the way that you would like to receive your login codes from the list below:
Via SMS (text message)
- Select 'Edit' in the 'SMS authenticator' box (or 'Add' if you haven't added a number before)
- Enter your new mobile number and click 'Create SMS authenticator'
- You will now receive a confirmation code via SMS. Enter the code on the Digidentity web page, then click ‘Update authenticator’.
If you have any trouble receiving your SMS code, please see: I haven't received my SMS confirmation code
Via the Digidentity app
- Select 'Add' in the 'Digidentity authenticator' box
- Type in a name for your new authenticator and select 'Create authenticator'
- For further steps, please select your situation from the list below:
I'm following these steps on the same device where I've installed the app
- Tap on 'Open with the app'. The app will then open and generate a six-digit code that refreshes every 30 seconds.
- Wait for a new code to generate, enter it onto the Digidentity webpage on your internet browser, then click ‘Update authenticator’.
Should you have any trouble using the 'Open with the app' button, please see: Why is the open app button not working?
I'm following these steps on a computer
- Open the Digidentity app on your smartphone/tablet and select 'Scan QR code'. A camera interface will then open on your device.
- Aim the camera towards the QR code shown on your computer screen. The QR code will then be automatically recognised and the app will generate a six-digit code that refreshes every 30 seconds.
- Enter the code displayed on the app onto the Digidentity webpage on your computer, then click ‘Update authenticator’.
Should you have any trouble scanning the QR code, please see: I have found my QR code, but the app won't recognise it
Accessing GOV.UK services
Once your two-factor authentication method has been updated, to continue to access GOV.UK services with your account, please follow the steps on this page: How do I log in to GOV.UK services? If you have not yet completed your verification, you will be returned to where you last left off.