If you have an NFC-compatible device, you will be asked to upload your passport by scanning the microchip embedded inside of your document. Once you've started your upload, the app will process your document in two stages: First by scanning the passport using your camera, and second by reading the chip embedded inside the passport.
Stage 1: Camera scan
During this stage our app will use the camera on your device to scan the long code at the base of your passport's photo page.
Troubleshooting steps for scanning your passport via the camera
- Make sure there is plenty of light in the room
- Place the passport on a flat surface such as a desk or table and open it to the photo page
- Hold the camera directly above the passport and align the rectangular guide with the long code at the base of the page
- Make sure there are no objects, shadows or reflections covering the code
- Move the camera slowly towards and away from the passport until the code flashes green
- Hold the camera steady while the app reads the passport details
Stage 2: NFC reading
During this stage our app will use your device's NFC reader to read the chip embedded inside of your passport. This is achieved by holding your device against the passport.
Troubleshooting steps for scanning your passport via NFC
- Remove any covers or cases from the passport
- Close the passport and place the document with the front cover facing up
- Place your device on top of the passport and slowly slide it up and down until the chip is recognised
Your device's NFC reader needs to line up with the document's chip, but it won't be clear where they both are, so trying multiple positions can be helpful. You can also try to hold your device against the back of the passport or against the photo page itself
- Once the chip is recognised, the device will vibrate and start to read the passport details. This will take a short while, so please hold the device still while this is completed
- Once the chip has been read, you can confirm the passport details shown and move on to taking a photo of yourself for the document to be compared against
Should you continue to experience issues, it may be possible for you to complete your upload using a different device.
Trying your upload again
If you are no longer on the Digidentity registration webpage, to log back in and retry your upload, please follow the steps on the following page: How do I get back to the registration web page?
Has your upload been rejected?
If you've completed your upload but it hasn't been accepted, it may be due to a number of different reasons, but is most often due to the quality of the photos provided. Below are some tips to help when retrying:
When taking a photo of yourself:
- Make sure there is enough light in the room
- Hold your device at eye level so that the angle is similar to the photo on your document
- Hold the camera yourself while taking your photos
When confirming your photos:
- Check that the photos are in focus and not blurry. You can choose to retake your photos if they are not clear
- Check to make sure that your face is clearly visible in the selfie
If you are still unable to continue after trying the upload again, please contact our service desk for assistance.