If you have an NFC-compatible device, it's possible to upload your passport by scanning the chip embedded within the document. This allows you to complete your verification requiring less documents. For more information and to see whether your device is compatible, please see What is NFC?
- If you're having trouble starting your upload, please see: How do I upload a document using the Digidentity app?
- If you've started your upload already and are having issues scanning your passport using NFC, please see the information below
NFC scanning issues
When you use our app to upload a passport via NFC, the document is scanned twice: first via your camera and then via NFC.
The first scan uses the camera on your device to read the long code at the base of the passport's photo page. If the app is not recognising your document in this stage, please try the following steps:
- Make sure there is plenty of light in the room
- Place the passport on a flat surface such as a desk or table and open it to the photo page
- Hold the camera directly above the passport and align the rectangular guide with the long code at the base of the page
- Make sure there are no objects, shadows or reflections covering the code
- Move the camera slowly towards and away from the passport until the code flashes green
- Hold the camera steady while the app reads the passport details
The second scan uses NFC to read the chip embedded inside of the passport by holding your device against it. If the app is not recognising your document in this stage, please try the following steps:
- Remove any covers or cases from the passport
- Close the passport and place the document with the front cover facing up
- Place your device on top of the passport and slowly slide it up and down until the chip is recognised
- Your device's NFC reader needs to line up with the document's chip, however neither will be visible, so trying multiple positions can be helpful
- You can also try to hold your device against the back of the passport or against the photo page itself
- Once the chip is recognised, the device will vibrate and start to read the passport details. This will take a short while, so please hold the device still while this is completed.
- Once the chip has been read, you can confirm the passport details shown. Your details will then be uploaded to our servers
Should you continue to experience issues, it may be possible for you to complete your upload using an alternative device.
Trying your upload again
If you are no longer on the Digidentity registration webpage, to log back in and retry your upload, please follow the steps on the following page: How do I get back to the registration web page?