If the Digidentity app is no longer generating your login codes (or you no longer have access to the mobile phone number on your account), you can recover your authenticator by following the steps below:
Downloading the Digidentity app
Before you start the recovery process, you will need to have the Digidentity app installed on your device.
You can find our free app on the relevant app store on your smartphone or tablet by searching for 'Digidentity'. Alternatively you can download it directly from the following links:
Google Play (Android): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digidentity
Apple (iOS): https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/digidentity/id916749732?ls=1&mt=8
Windows mobile: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/digidentity/9nblggh51nxx
Starting the recovery
Once you have the Digidentity app downloaded to your device, please follow the steps below. We recommend following these steps in Chrome, Safari, or Firefox and not using the Google Search app.
- Go to the Digidentity login page
- Enter in your email address or username
If you are not sure which to enter, please see: What is my username?
- Fill in your password
If you have also forgotten your password, please see: I forgot my password and don't have access to my old phone number/authenticator. What can I do?
- When asked for the security code, click 'I lost access to this code'.
- Provide the requested account recovery code, then click 'Continue'
For more information on your account recovery code and how to find it, please see: What is an Account Recovery code?
- Answer the security question
Setting up the Digidentity authenticator app
- Select 'Add' in the 'Digidentity authenticator' box
- Type in a name for your new authenticator and select 'Create authenticator'
- There are now two ways to continue:
Option 1: If you've followed the steps so far on the same smartphone/tablet where you have the app installed:
- On the next page, tap on 'open with the app'.
The app will then open and start generating a six-digit code. This code will refresh every 30 seconds.
- Enter the code displayed on the app onto the Digidentity webpage on your internet browser, then click ‘Update authenticator’.
You will need to enter the code to the internet browser quickly as each code is only valid for 30 seconds.
Option 2: If you've followed the steps so far on a computer/laptop:
- Open the Digidentity app on your smartphone/tablet and select the 'Scan QR code' option.
A camera interface will then open on your device.
- Aim the camera towards the QR code shown on your computer screen. The app will then automatically recognise the code and start generating a six-digit code.
This code will refresh every 30 seconds.
- Enter the code displayed on the app onto the Digidentity webpage on your computer, then click ‘Update authenticator’
If you are having trouble scanning the QR code, please see: I have found my QR code, but the app won't recognise it
Accessing GOV.UK services
Once your two-factor authentication method has been updated, to continue to access GOV.UK services with your account, please see the following article for steps to log in: How do I get back to the registration web page? If you have already completed your verification, you will be automatically redirected to the GOV.UK service you require.