If you receive an error message when filling in the licence form, it means that one or more of the details entered are invalid. Please find tips below which may assist you with resolving this:
The dates are coming up as invalid
- The issue and expiry date should reach a maximum of 10 years.
- They should be entered using the format dd/mm/yyyy.
- If they are not accepted, please remove both of the dates and try entering them in again.
The licence number is coming up as invalid
- DVLA licence number: This should be 16 characters long, comprised of numbers and uppercase letters. Double check that you are not mistaking the letter ‘I’ with the number ‘1’ or the letter ‘O’ with the number ‘0’.
- Northern Ireland licence number: This should be 8 digits long.
- Issue number (DVLA only): The 2 extra numbers after the licence number, separated by a space or on a separate line should be filled in the issue number field only.
- Pre-filled date of birth: Check it is listed correctly in the form. If incorrect, you can go back to your profile page and select ‘Update my details’ to edit this information.
If you have checked the details above and your licence number still shows as invalid, we recommend that you check the format of your licence number by searching online for ‘DVLA driving licence number format’. Alternatively you can upload your photo card driving licence using the Digidentity app where your licence can be visually verified.
If you would like further assistance, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with our Service Desk:
Tel: 0330 05 83 454.