Although there are a number of reasons why a text message (SMS) code might not be received on time, most issues can be resolved by following the steps below:
- If you have already received any codes from us via SMS, please open the SMS messaging app on your phone and delete them
- Turn your phone off and then on again, then wait for a few minutes for any delayed codes to arrive (should any delayed codes come through, please also delete these from your phone)
- On the Digidentity web page, select to resend your code
Please note that SMS codes can only be sent to the following dialling codes:
- +44 (United Kingdom)
- +31 (The Netherlands)
- +353 (Ireland)
If you previously registered using another dialling code you will need to recover your two-factor authenticator.
If you are no longer on our registration web page, for steps to log back in please see: How do I get back to my registration?
Each SMS code that we send will remain valid for two minutes before it expires. If you still haven't received anything from us after two minutes, please try the following:
- If setting up SMS login codes for the first time, please check that the international dailling code and mobile phone number have been entered correctly (please note that we are unable to send SMS messages to landline numbers)
- Check your phone's spam/blocked messages folder. If your phone automatically filters SMS messages as spam, you can usually find a list of blocked messages via the settings menu in the phone's text messaging app
- Select once more to resend the SMS code
Alternative authenticator options
If you still have issues receiving your code, it may be that your mobile signal is not strong enough to receive our codes in time, or that our system is experiencing delays due to heavy demand. In this case, you can try to log back into your account at a later time, or try one of the options below:
- If you are setting up SMS login codes for the first time and have a smartphone that can install apps, you can choose to use the Digidentity app for your two-factor authentication instead. To reach this option, on our web page, select 'I cannot confirm my mobile number'. For more information, please see: How do I set up two-factor authentication?
- If you've set up SMS login codes in the past and are trying to log back in, you may still be able to choose a different method of two-factor authentication by recovering your account. For more information, please see: How do I recover my two-factor authentication?